We’re in the countdown now for two opportunities to engage in civil disobedience (or rally in crucial support for those who do) in vital struggles to shut down fossil fuels in NY State THIS MONTH:
BREAK FREE ALBANY + Resist AIM
Mark your calendars: Break Free Albany is coming up on Saturday, May 14, and there will be a mass action against the AIM pipeline at Indian Point one week later, on Saturday, May 21. Please see below for details about how to plug into both actions. Thousands are needed, please work at scale and spread the word!
Break Free Albany:
5/6/16: NEW — Please provide a detailed RSVP for Break Free Albany. The form just takes moments to fill out online, and will help organizers to accommodate everyone’s needs: HERE.
Break Free 2016 is a series of global actions across the U.S. and in countries around the world that will take the seriousness of climate resistance to a new level.
Some will engage in non-violent civil disobedience, others will rally in support. Those engaging in thoughtful, pre-planned direct action will be law enforcers, not law breakers.
We call on all those who know that if our government continues with business as usual, climate change will wreak havoc on our lives, our futures, and our world. Our focus, in the U.S. Northeast, is on Albany, NY because it is a MAJOR transportation and distribution hub for fossil fuels, primarily oil and gas extracted by fracking, which pollutes, kills, and drives climate change.
We will gather with frontline communities (those hit first and worst by the impacts of climate change) — including residents of Albany’s Ezra Prentice Homes, who live alongside rail tracks holding dangerous and polluting “bomb trains” — for mass civil disobedience against oil trains. Break Free Albany will focus on many other fossil fuel issues in addition to bomb trains, as well as on the need for a rapid and just shift to a renewable energy economy.
Many will participate in direct action, others will rally in support. Whatever action you choose and are able to take, you are needed.
- Learn more about Albany Break Free, and sign up to take action and receive email updates about logistics.
- Deepen your understanding of the dangers and implications of fossil fuel bomb trains by watching this New York Times video.
- Understand the framework for direct action in Albany by reading Jeremy Brecher’s“A new wave of climate insurgents defines itself as law enforcers”
- Read about the climate necessity defense and using the “public trust” to frame Break Free from Fossil Fuels actions.
- Watch and share the Break Free 2016 video.
- Don’t miss the new, riveting, 40-minute film about climate disobedience: Disobedience!
Break Free Albany action schedule:
- Saturday, May 7: 350NYC is holding a Non-violent Direct Action Training to prepare those planning to engage in civil disobedience in Albany on May 14. The training will be from 9-12:30 pm, at NY Society for Ethical Culture, 2 W. 64th St. @ Central Park West. You need to register for the training by going to this Eventbrite page and answering several questions.
- Wednesday, May 11-Friday, May 13: Training camp in Albany-building action and organizing skills to take back to your community.
- Saturday, May 14: Mass Action to Stop the Bomb Trains
For info about buses to from NYC to Albany and direct action training in NYC, go to 350NYC.org.
***** To reserve a round-trip seat on a NYC-Albany bus on May 14, go to the 350NYC Eventbrite page, HERE.*****
The Spectra Energy Co. is putting in an explosive, 42″, high-pressure, fracked-gas pipeline just 105 feet from critical infrastructure at the Indian Point nuclear power plant on the Hudson River in Garrison, NY. Indian Point is sited on top of the Ramapo earthquake fault. #WhatCouldGoWrong
There is an ongoing campaign for stop construction of the pipeline, with an important new action, “People Can Stop the Pipeline,” coming up on Saturday, May 21 in Peekskill followed by one on Monday, May 23 in Manhattan, “Tell Schumer to Stop the AIM Pipeline.”
Go HERE for details about the May 21 action.
Go HERE for details about the May 23 action.
Take the Resist AIM Pledge of Resistance, HERE. You’ll be emailed about opportunities for a direct action training.
Donate to this important effort to stop the AIM pipeline, HERE.